I accept and share the gift of laughter in joyful living!
Benefits of Laughing –
Relaxes the body
Relieves tension and stress
When we laugh with another person, a bond is created
Humor helps us change perspective
Watch how children delight in the slightest things. I spent the evening with friends and their eighteen-month-old child. With the help from her parents and a children’s signing video, Anna is learning sign language. Her mother told me that it helps the parents and children because it is an effective method of communication before learn to speak. When Anna wanted something, she would look at one of her parents and sign. Then her parents would assist her while also signing whenever she wanted something throughout dinner. With each achievement, Anna displayed a vibrant smile followed by laughter. Laughing comes naturally for children.
People who laugh,
help bring joy and
wellbeing to the world !!!
Why is it important to make laughter a part of your life?
- Laughter is a good medicine.
- Laughter relaxes the body and relieves physical tension and stress.
- Laughter boosts the immune the system. It decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter softens upsetting emotional feelings. When you’re laughing, you don’t feel anxious, depressed or angry. Humor changes perspective.
- Smiles lead to laughter.
- Laughter is contagious. When you hear others laugh, you may find yourself laughing also.
- To develop a sense of humor, take yourself less seriously. Embrace this gift.
- Enjoy laughing naturally like Anna!
- Appreciate your laugh – your laugh makes you unique!
Ideas to Help Your Loved One Maintain Emotional Wellbeing and Increase Activities . .
Share stories with them
Encourage your loved one to tell stories
Include your loved one in family functions and invite guests over to visit
Bring grandchildren or great grandchildren to visit or take your loved one to visit them
Watch re-runs of comedy TV shows like Everybody Loves Raymond
Select places they enjoy going such as lunch, social activities, place of worship
Discuss praying with them, along with reading spiritual books or magazines like Guideposts and taking them to a place of worship. If they welcome all or some the opportunities, honor their requests.
Rent lighthearted movies or watch the Turner Classic Movie station
Play board and card games
Order the book, Exercise and Physical Activity: Your Everyday Guide from the National Institute on Aging. Call the Information Center at 1-800-222-2225 or visit www.nia.nih.gov /Exercise
Laughter is the universal language of joyful living.
When laughing together, we contribute to our good as individuals and as a collective whole.